HOW TO APPLY
Thank you for your interest in applying to Black Pine Circle School. We hope that the information enclosed will help you with the application process, and that you will have a chance to visit our campus soon. Please call the Admissions Office to schedule a tour, or to request additional information not provided in this packet. We look forward to sharing with you the Black Pine Circle School experience.
VISITING BLACK PINE CIRCLE SCHOOL
We encourage parents to attend an Admissions Information Day and/or a School Tour during which you may learn first hand about the classroom your child will be entering.
ADMISSIONS INFORMATION DAYS:
Join us at one of the Admissions Information Days to learn about Black Pine Circle School’s strong arts and academic curriculum, meet our experienced classroom teachers and specialists, and participate in a variety of hands-on activities in the classroom. Children are welcome.
Kindergarten Information Day
Saturday, October 20, 2012, 10 am – 12 pm
RSVP to Kindergarten Admissions Information Day
K-5 Admissions Information Days
Saturday, November 10, 2012, 10 am – 12 pm
Saturday, December 8, 2012, 10 am – 12 pm
RSVP to K-5 Admissions Information Day
6-8 Admissions Information Days
Saturday, November 10, 2012, 1 pm – 3 pm
Saturday, December 8, 2012, 1 pm – 3 pm
RSVP to 6-8 Admissions Information Day
School tours are scheduled during our regular school hours in the morning to offer an opportunity to observe our teachers and students in action. These tours are led by current parents and/or Admissions personnel. A meeting with an Administrator follows during which we will discuss our educational philosophy and answer your questions. Tours are by appointment and are for parents/guardians only. School tours begin in late October and run through the month of January. To schedule a school tour, please contact our Admissions Office.
Schedule a School Tour
THE APPLICATION PROCESS
1. Attend an Admissions Information Day and/or School Tour.
2. Complete the application form (and included Parent Questionnaire), and submit it with a photo of your child and the non-refundable application fee of $65 ($60 if submitted by December 3, 2012). We accept Kindergarten applications for children who will be turning five years of age by October 1, 2013.
3. Submit a completed Student Questionnaire. (For applicants entering Grades 6th – 8th only).
4. Send the Teacher Recommendation Form(s) to your child’s current teachers to complete. (One Teacher Recommendation Form is required for Kindergarten applicants. Two Recommendation Forms are required for Grades 1st - 8th applicants). Teachers should mail their recommendation letters directly to Black Pine Circle School, Attn: Admissions, 2027 7th Street, Berkeley, CA 94710.
5. For applicants entering Grades 1st – 8th, submit a copy of your child’s transcript, including the last two year’s progress reports/report cards.
6. Please submit all the completed forms to Black Pine Circle School by the application deadline:
Monday, December 3, 2012: Priority application and Sibling application deadline.Thursday, January 17, 2013: Admissions application deadline.
7. Schedule a Student Visit/Assessment Day.
After the application is received, we will contact families to arrange a Student Visit/Assessment. The Student Visit/Assessments begin in January and continue through February, or until the class is filled.
Kindergarten Visit/Assessment sessions occur in a small group format that includes an individual meeting with the teacher during the visit.
Applicants for Grades 1st – 8th will visit a class of her/his current and/or expected grade level of entrance. After we receive your application, we will contact you to arrange a Student Visit/Assessment day. Your child will spend a half-day visiting our school. Black Pine Circle School does not require ISEE, a standardized test, for admission.
8. Send in Financial Assistance Intent Form by Thursday, January 17, 2013. (For Financial Assistance applicants only)
9. Decision letters are mailed to families on Friday, March 8, 2013.
10. The enrollment agreement and tuition deposit are due back on Friday, March 15, 2013.
Black Pine Circle School is a member School of CAIS (California Association of Independent Schools), EBISA (East Bay Independent Schools Association) and POCIS (People of Color in Independent Schools). Black Pine Circle School has an institutional commitment to the principles of diversity. Black Pine Circle School does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, creed, color, sexual orientation, age, physical challenge, nation of origin, gender, or any other characteristic.